Information for Students and Families
A Start in Life provides support to disadvantaged students to promote educational progression and to help students overcome the educational barriers they face, so they can access the same learning opportunities as their peers.
What support does A Start in Life provide?
A Start in Life provides support to students from the first year of primary school through to tertiary education. Our Student and Family Management team works in conjunction with parent/ carers, students and educators to set learning goals for each student, and develop a tailored plan of support that addresses the barriers they are facing to their education. This support can include, but is not limited to:
- School essentials – text books, stationery, uniforms, shoes, school fees
- School activities – camps and excursions
- Extra-curricular activities
- IT equipment – computers, printers, internet access
- Tuition and other costs related to education
Who can apply for assistance?
To be eligible to apply for assistance, students must fulfill the following criteria:
- Australian citizen
- Engaged in full time education
- 24 years of age and under
- Tertiary students must be in full-time study on campus
How do students and families apply for assistance?
- Please ensure students meet the above criteria.
- Families and students can request an application pack by contacting the Student and Family Management team on (02) 9264 3017.
- Application pack includes
- Student and Family criteria for support and requirements for ongoing assistance
- Application form outlining required supporting documents
- Privacy statement
- Conditions of Acceptance (to be signed)
How long will my application take to be processed?
Please allow up to twelve weeks for the processing of your application. Requests for support are reviewed quarterly and due to the high demand of applicants, there may be an extended time.