A START IN LIFE
The Privacy Act 1988 regulates the way in which A Start in Life is required to handle your personal information. A Start in Life is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of our supporters, students and their immediate family.
What personal information will be collected?
- Your name,
- Address and other contact details,
- Organisation name and role (if applicable),
- Payment details,
- Whether you belong to an Association, Club or Lodge
- Reasons for your donation.
For Students & Families
- Your Application Form,
- Review Forms as required under the terms of your acceptance,
- Copies of identification documents, for example, birth certificates, driver’s licence and passports,
- Information from third parties such as Centrelink, your employer, financial institutions, government/semi government institutions & utilities, medical service providers, welfare agencies, schools and tertiary institutions.
- All other documentary evidence of financial hardship used to support any application.
- Student Updates, Parent/carer feedback & any interactions with us.
- School, TAFE and university results.
How we use your personal information?
The information we collect is used to:
- Process donations, bequests, pledges, sponsorships and issue receipts,
- Respond to your comments or questions,
- Seek your ongoing support,
- Collate information for research and marketing purposes.
- To understand & assess your requirement for support
- To interact with you, your family or other persons you have provided approval for us to interact with
- Make support payments to you or on your behalf
- Provide follow-up information about our Education Assistance Programs,
- Determine your educational progress or adjustment of your support
Some student information may be shared with our supporters and public for the purposes of increasing support for the charity. Where the student is less than 18 years of age, the information provided will not identify the student in any way. Permission will generally be sought, where the student is 18 years of age and the information will identify the student.
Credit card security
Donations you make to A Start in Life using our online donation form are secured through Westpac PayWay. Our donation page is encrypted, which means your personal information, including credit card details cannot be viewed by a third party.
Storage of your information
- Destroyed if no longer needed; or
- Stored securely in either paper or electronic form.
Disclosing your information
In some cases, personal information (but never sensitive information) is supplied to, or collected by, contractors who perform services directly on our behalf, for example, mailing houses that send our appeal envelopes. All third parties that receive your personal details from us are located in Australia and are therefore bound to keep your information confidential and not use it for unauthorised purposes.
We do not pass on personal information to any other third parties (unless required by law) or publish them in our publications or on our website without explicit permission.
To update, correct, delete or unsubscribe your information
Under the Australian Privacy Principles, you have a right to know what information we hold about you. You are also entitled to see this information and/or to request changes to your personal information and choose to unsubscribe from any of our mailings.
If something goes wrong?
If you have any concerns in relation to your personal information or you believe that your privacy rights have been breached and you wish to lodge a formal complaint, you can contact us at email@example.com or phone A Start in Life on (02) 9264 3017.